The Fire Chief is in charge of the Village of Boys Town Fire Department, its employees and volunteers, and all equipment in the Fire Department’s custody. The Fire Chief is generally responsible for fire protection, fire code enforcement, fire prevention, fire marshal duties and fire preparedness within the Village of Boys Town. The Fire Chief reports administratively to the Village Attorney and functionally to the Village Board.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
- Plans, organizes, and directs all Fire Department activities and oversees all Fire Department employees and volunteers.
- Supervises and evaluates all Fire Department employees and volunteers, youth programs, and cadets.
- In charge of strategic planning and developing the Fire Department’s proposed annual budget that is submitted to the Village Board for approval.
- Supervises the development and enforcement of regulatory ordinances and codes regarding fire prevention and safety.
- Ensures monthly, quarterly, and annual reports are completed by staff in a timely manner.
- Monitors and controls department appropriations and expenditures.
- Oversees community training partnerships.
- Oversees all firefighting operations and fire prevention procedures.
- Responsible for the Fire Department when it is on duty at a fire, responding to an emergency, and when it is performing fire drills.
- Responsible for all Fire Department equipment and property, including reporting when any repairs or new equipment are required.
- Responsible for preserving and maintaining order at all times during a fire.
- Enforces Village ordinances related to fire prevention, the storage and use of explosives and flammable substances, the installation of fire alarm systems, the regulation of fire escapes, and the inspection of all premises requiring adequate fire escapes.
- Investigates the cause, origin, and circumstances of fires within the Village.
- Directs the Boys Town EMS Training Agency.
- Responsible for the EMS training agency curriculum and class schedule.
- Ensures compliance with applicable rules and regulations covering emergency medical services and EMS training agencies and maintaining the EMS training agency license.
- Maintains written agreements with hospitals, clinics, and licensed EMS services for clinical and field experience.
- Acts as a community leader.
- Works transparently and in close collaboration with the Village Attorney.
- Maintains good relationships with the individual and corporate citizens of the Village of Boys Town through his/her service as the Fire Chief.
- Represents the Village of Boys Town as a member of local associations.
- Nebraska State Fire Marshal responsibilities.
- Submits construction plans for State review of Life safety and NFPA code.
- Performs various inspections for life safety, NFPA code insurance and building code insurance.
- Investigates fire incidents and does State reporting.
- Supervises fire alarm systems to ensure inspections and State reporting are completed.
- Supervises flammable above ground and underground storage tanks to ensure inspections and State reporting are completed.
- Other Duties: This job posting incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by the Village Board.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of fire prevention, suppression and investigation methods, practices, and procedures.
- Possesses sound judgement, professional conduct, commitment to service and community.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform and lead others calmly and efficiently in crisis situations.
- Exhibits a high respect for human and community diversity.
- Ability to communicate in an articulate, professional manner while maintaining the necessary degree of confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of, and the ability to maintain, accurate records and prepare timely reports required by various local, state and federal organizations and agencies.
- Ability to train others in leadership, firefighting, and EMS methods and procedures.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Associates degrees in Fire Science. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years as an Assistant Chief or Deputy Chief.
- Minimum of ten years of training and field experience in firefighting.
- Must possess valid Nebraska driver’s license
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSURES, AND LANGUAGE SKILLS:
- CPR, Nebraska and Nationally Registered Paramedic Certification or Certified Emergency Manager (CEM).
- Inspection license or strong relationship with the state in order to support need for review. Inspection license preferred.
- State of Nebraska EMS Instructor certification, Fire Service Instructor certification, and Hazmat Technician certification, or the ability to acquire within a designated timeframe.
- Ability to obtain Pyrotechnics license.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND EQUIPMENT USAGE:
The physical demands of this job call for above average endurance and conditioning. Duties may include strenuous activities under adverse environmental conditions over extended periods of time. Requirements include running, climbing stairs with a heavy load, jumping, twisting, bending, and lifting more than 100 pounds. Must be able to conduct coherent voice communication in person as well as via portable radio and telephone.
Due to the nature of firefighting and emergency services work, this position may be exposed to potentially hazards such as extreme heat and smoke, unstable structures, live electrical lines, toxic gases and bloodborne pathogens.
The Village of Boys Town is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Preference shall be given to eligible veterans and service members. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 531-355-1817.
The Village of Boys Town is accepting applications for a Fire Chief. Please submit your cover letter and resume to James Beckman, Village of Boys Town Clerk at (Clerk@villageofboystown.org). Application materials must be received by August 19, 2022.